One of my favorite wintertime soups! This one is easy, delicious, and easily modifiable to accommodate allergies and sensitivities.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth (regular or low sodium)
- (1) 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (regular or fire roasted)
- (1) 14.5 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- Salt and pepper to your liking
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 package tri-colored tortilla strips (any kind of tortilla chips will do, these ones just make it prettier and more festive)!
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup shredded Colby/Monterrey cheese
- Heat the vegetable oil in a dutch oven or large pot
- Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Once softened, add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Pour the chicken broth, tomatoes and beans into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to simmer and add your chicken breasts.
- Cook the chicken for 25 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove from pot and shred once it is cool enough to handle. Set aside.
- Add lime juice and cilantro to the pot.
- To serve, add a mound of shredded chicken to bowl, ladle soup over the chicken and top with a lime wedge, tortilla strips, avocado slices and cheese.
Recipe adapted from Danny Boome, Food Network